Track: Rebuilding a Team

Naelly Andrade and Elsye Anderson

Track and field is a sport which includes athletic contests established on the skills of running, jumping, and throwing Track has an estimated of 50 students in total, but about more than half are juniors and seniors. In the last couple seasons, the number of underclassmen on Sheyenne’s Track and Field team has continued to decrease. Juniors and seniors outnumber sophomores and freshmen in Track and Field. The head coaches Mr. Thorson and Mrs. Watson, and the other Track and Field coaches are trying to recruit freshmen and sophomores. Although they are looking at having more juniors and seniors this year, they’d still like to have more freshman to keep the sport going. Anyone is able to join the sport because it can be taught to those who are interested.
Mr. Christensen is the coach for Pole Vault. He loves to see the freshmen grow from a young age to an older age and improve so much in the sport. He believes all athletes have their own motivations. “I think each athlete has their own motivations… Some people are looking for a challenge or they think it would be fun.” He says, “Challenges, set and achieve tangible goals, and since good days of competition come with bad days, you will learn how to maintain a positive mindset in the midst of great adversity.” Although, he does know that not many like to do very much physical activity but he says, “You join track, you will tone your muscles, speed up your feet, and become more explosive… I believe if we rest, we rust.” Mr. Christensen says Track and field can teach you to “overcome challenges, set and achieve tangible goals, and since good days of competition come with bad days, you will learn how to maintain a positive mindset in the midst of great adversity.” The team is looking for “all sorts of people. You may not be the fastest sprinter but with training you might be the fastest 800 meter runner. You might not be the fastest miler, but with training you could be the fastest 2 miler. You might not be the strongest thrower, but with training you could be the best at discuss.” Being part of Track and Field means “having a ton of fun, get in shape, compete in blue and orange, support your friends, earn some points for Sheyenne,” he says. Sheyenne’s team sent 26 state Track and Field runners to the state meet in Bismarck and the coaches would like to see the number sent this year increase. Right now they are a little more focused on the freshman class of athletes to increase about double the size of last years. “Calling all freshmen! I would like to see the largest freshmen class of track athletes this year! Last year we had about 30 freshmen sign up and I hope this year we have closer to 60”, Christensen says. “No matter what you like to do in life, being healthy physically and mentally is important. The down side is, most people don’t like to work out. When you’re on a Track and Field team, you get to see the results of your hard work each week when you shave time off a run, or add inches to a throw or jump. It makes it easier to keep going because you get to measure you success at every meet,” he says.